Phoenix, Arizona is home to a variety of pests that can cause damage to your property and even pose health risks to your family. With spring around the corner, it’s important to take proactive steps to protect your home from these unwanted invaders before they take you by complete surprise and takeover.
How Homeowners Can Guard against Pests in Phoenix
What a lot of homeowners don’t know is pests make their homes right inside occupied residential spaces – like walls and various other hidden locations. In fact, scorpions will begin to get inside starting in September and October, only to emerge in the spring. By the time you see these particular pests, they’ve been living in your home for weeks or months.
Fortunately, there are ways to keep pests outside where they belong. Here are some tips for homeowners in Phoenix on how to keep pests out of their homes before spring.
- Inspect your property. The first step in pest prevention is to inspect your property. Look for any signs of pest activity, such as droppings, nests, or chew marks. Check your foundation, roof, and walls for any cracks or holes that could serve as entry points for pests. Make sure your doors and windows are properly sealed and that screens are in good condition.
- Keep your house clean. Pests are attracted to food, water, and shelter. Keeping your home clean and free of clutter can help reduce the chances of a pest infestation. Make sure to wipe down counters and tables, vacuum regularly, and take out the trash on a regular basis. Store food in airtight containers and avoid leaving pet food out overnight.
- Trim trees and shrubs. Trees and shrubs can provide a perfect shelter for pests like rodents and termites. Keep branches and shrubs trimmed away from your home to eliminate access points. In addition, be sure to keep firewood and other debris at least twenty feet away from your house.
- Fix those leaks. Pests are attracted to water sources. Leaks in pipes or around sinks can provide the moisture they need to survive. Inspect your plumbing for any leaks and fix them promptly. Check your gutters and downspouts to ensure they are draining water away from your home.
- Seal up cracks and holes. Sealing up any cracks or holes around your home can be an effective way to keep pests out. Use caulk or expanding foam to seal up any gaps around windows, doors, or pipes. Install door sweeps on all exterior doors to keep pests from entering underneath.
- Work with a professional pest control company. If you’re concerned about a potential pest problem, consider working with a professional pest control company, like Invader. They can provide a comprehensive inspection of your property and help identify potential entry points. They can also provide ongoing treatment to prevent pests from infesting your home in the first place.
So, taking proactive steps to prevent pest infestations is critical for homeowners in and around Phoenix. Inspecting your property, keeping it clean, trimming trees and shrubs, fixing leaks, sealing cracks and holes, and working with a professional pest control company are all effective strategies to keep pests out of your home.
By following these tips, you can enjoy a pest-free home and peace of mind throughout the year!